A dog from Southampton has had a lucky escape after eating Christmas fairy lights.
Surgeons from the PDSA veterinary charity saved the life of seven-year-old crossbreed Charlie after he decided to gnaw on the festive decorations.
Owner Sharon Fay explained this was not the first time her four-legged friend chose to chew on something he should not have, as he previously made a meal out of her scarf - an incident that also resulted in an operation.
Ms Fay stated: "I hadn't even noticed that the lights had been chewed at this stage but it quickly became clear what had happened."
The 45-year-old said she had no inclination her pet would prove to be a repeat offender, explaining she has never had a dog act in this manner before, despite owning pooches all her life.
An X-ray taken in the hospital showed the christmas lights tangled up inside Charlie's stomach, in addition to a shoelace.
Senior veterinary surgeon Sophie Bell noted that while she has seen swallow all manner of objects, such as rubber ducks and dummies, she has never before witnessed one with fairy lights in its belly.
Dog survives after eating Christmas fairy lights
Tue, 18 Dec 2012
Recommended linksPuppy buying guide
Dog insurance guide
Dog bathing guide
Dog owners should improve oral health of pets
Dogs need to be trained at a young age
People should have fun when training a dog
Early life is a vital time for dog training
Behavioural training should be considered for dogs
Owners need to socialise their dogs
Owners need to clean up after their dog
New dog app tracks exercise routines
Floor choice is important for dog owners
Having a dog could help to relieve stress
Keeping dogs safe from harmful parasites
Grooming is of great importance for dogs
Owners need to make their home suitable for dogs
Scottish stray dog numbers decline
Exercise will keep a dog mentally stimulated
Tiny dog believed to be the smallest in Britain
Owners with naughty dogs should seek professional advice
Training collars could help aggressive dogs
|RSPCA issues reminder not to leave dogs in cars as temperatures soar - Tue, 19 Jul 2016|
|Dogs saved from slaughter ahead of controversial Chinese festival - Mon, 20 Jun 2016|
|Detector dogs fail to find Class A drugs but find plenty of cheese and sausage - Thu, 14 Apr 2016|