Puppy survives swallowing metal chain

Tue, 30 Apr 2013

A nine-month-old Staffordshire bull terrier received emergency surgery after swallowing his 26-inch metal chain.

Mischievous puppy Buster, who is owned by Jackie Stephenson and her partner Des Connor from Middlesbrough, had to be operated on after an X-ray showed the lead was in his stomach.

According to Ms Stephenson, 38, she couldn't believe it at first that Buster might have eaten the chain and turned the house upside down looking for it.

"I didn't think there was any way that he could do that. Plus he's always been such a good puppy and never tried to eat anything before," she added.

Vets at the Middlesbrough People's Dispensary for Sick Animals, which provides free treatment to injured pets of local people in need, were able to successfully remove the chain from the pooch's stomach and he is now recovering.

Surgeon Mary Tonge said it was clear from the X-ray Buster had swallowed the lead in one go and it was lucky it hadn't yet passed into his intestines, as if that had happened the consequences would have been painful and potentially deadly.

Link to this page

Copy and Paste the following HTML into your page.