A nine-month-old Staffordshire bull terrier received emergency surgery after swallowing his 26-inch metal chain.
Mischievous puppy Buster, who is owned by Jackie Stephenson and her partner Des Connor from Middlesbrough, had to be operated on after an X-ray showed the lead was in his stomach.
According to Ms Stephenson, 38, she couldn't believe it at first that Buster might have eaten the chain and turned the house upside down looking for it.
"I didn't think there was any way that he could do that. Plus he's always been such a good puppy and never tried to eat anything before," she added.
Vets at the Middlesbrough People's Dispensary for Sick Animals, which provides free treatment to injured pets of local people in need, were able to successfully remove the chain from the pooch's stomach and he is now recovering.
Surgeon Mary Tonge said it was clear from the X-ray Buster had swallowed the lead in one go and it was lucky it hadn't yet passed into his intestines, as if that had happened the consequences would have been painful and potentially deadly.
Puppy survives swallowing metal chain
Tue, 30 Apr 2013
Recommended linksCaring for puppies
Basic puppy training
Dog insurance offers
Why dogs need to be vaccinated
Dog owners reminded not to feed pets raisins
Research key when buying a dog
Dog day care centre could open in Portishead
Dogs require calm environment to stay healthy
Number of stray dogs in Dorset increasing
Leeds dog rescue charity launches TV advert plea
Dogs may understand the human perspective
Five dogs microchipped each week in Wandsworth
Dog owner offers GBP10k reward for stolen pet
Continuously Bred Dogs Rescued From Puppy Farm
Puppy guide dogs move into new home after a 59 week construction project
RSPCA puts up puppy farm dogs for adoption
|RSPCA issues reminder not to leave dogs in cars as temperatures soar - Tue, 19 Jul 2016|
|Dogs saved from slaughter ahead of controversial Chinese festival - Mon, 20 Jun 2016|
|Detector dogs fail to find Class A drugs but find plenty of cheese and sausage - Thu, 14 Apr 2016|