- Your puppy should be fed the same kind of food every day. Dog’s have a different digestive system from humans that cannot handle changes in food. This can cause upset stomach and diarrhoea.
- When switching to a new food, gradually transition him to the new food by mixing portions of both foods until you slowly phase the old food out.
- Keep to the same time every day to feed your puppy.
- Always have fresh drinking water available.
- Keep food and water bowls clean.
- Don’t over-feed your puppy.
- Follow the guidelines on the puppy food package for recommended feeding amounts.
- Monitor your puppy’s weight and activity level, and make feeding adjustments as necessary.
- Don’t be alarmed by a change in your puppy’s appetite, as it is normal for your puppy to lose his appetite or experience digestive upset occasionally. If your puppy’s upset stomach becomes severe or lasts longer than two days, contact your veterinarian.
- If you are mixing water to dry food you should mix 4 parts dry food to 1 part water.
- The first ingredient in your puppy’s food should be meat. Puppies were not meant to primarily eat corn and wheat. If the first ingredient in your dog food is a corn, wheat, meat-meal or meat-by-product, then avoid. The first ingredient represents what the dog food is mostly comprised of.
Basic Daily Feeding Guide for Adult Dogs
The following is a basic daily-feeding guide for adult dogs. The feeding directions are based on using an 8 oz. measuring cup. Individual dog’s requirements may differ from this chart.
If needed puppies can be fed up to 1 1/2 times the highest amount listed in their category.
Weight as an Adult Dog
Dry Food Mixed With Can Food
Chihuahua, Yorkshire Terrier, Toy Poodle
1/3 to 1 cup
1/4 can + up to 3/4 cup
Miniature Poodle, Scottish Terrier 10-25 pounds
½ can + ½ to 1½ cups
Cocker Spaniel, Beagle, Springer Spaniel 25-50 pounds
1 can + 1 to 2½ cups
Collie, Boxer, Labrador, Golden Retriever 50-75 pounds
1½ cans + 1 3/4 to 3 cups
Great Dane, Malamute, St. Bernard, Mastiff Over 75 pounds
2 cans + 2½ to 5 1/4 cups